My name is Darren Barefoot. I'm a writer, technologist and marketer who lives in Vancouver, Canada. While my undergraduate degree was in Creative Writing and Theatre, I always had a deep love of computers. Ever since my parents brought home our first dual disc drive IBM PC, I was smitten. So, mostly, I write about technology.
I originally worked as a technical writer, doing an internship at Radical Entertainment, followed by stints at Meridian Systems and Cape Clear Software (while spending two years in Dublin). Since returning to Vancouver in 2003, I've started Capulet Communications, a PR and marketing company that specializes in high-tech companies.
The following is a list of my online and real-world projects:
- Capulet Communications - My company.
- Lately I've been doing a lot of public speaking.
- I recently co-authored an ebook on social media marketing, blogger relations and the like.
- My latest, er, pop art web experiment is Dear Rockers.
- Northern Voice - A non-profit, community-based blogging conference held in Vancouver in February. In February, 2008, we'll be holding our fourth conference.
- Get a First Life - When I get a little bored with a technology or pop culture fad, I tend to make a little satire of it. This one seemed to strike a nerve, and received coverage in BusinessWeek, Business 2.0, the Associated Press, Der Spiegel and the CBC, among other places.
- iCryptex - An earlier project along similar lines.
- The Technical Hall of Documentation Weirdness - Kind of an homage to my early days as a technical writer.
- GeekyTraveller - I used to run this travel blog, but I've since sold it.
- I wrote a play, entitled Bolloxed and produced by Theatre Tart, for the 2006 Victoria and Vancouver Fringe festivals.
- Photography - I take a lot of photographs. Older photographs are stored here, while newer photos are available in my Flickr account.
- Yaletown View - A monthly technology column syndicated to several magazines in Vancouver and California. Total readership is about 130,000. You can find most of my columns in this Google search.
- Vancouver Fringe Festival - I was on the Board of Directors.
- Flowers for Al and Don - A donation drive to purchase and deliver flowers to gay and lesbian couples standing in line to get married in San Francisco and Portland.
- I used to occasionally do lighting designs for stage plays. In 2002, I designed Closer at Andrew's Lane Theatre in Dublin, Ireland. In March, 2005, I designed Last Train to Nibroc for Pacific Theatre in Vancouver.
About This Site
I started DarrenBarefoot.com back in 2000, mostly as a place to host my resume and writing samples. Since then, it has evolved through two redesigns (it originally looked like this, and more recently like this). In 2002, I added a weblog to the front page and that's become the site's main purpose.
This site was designed by Ray vanderWoning.