I’ve watched a couple episodes of Lost, an ABC show about plane crash victims surviving on a deserted tropical island with some weird secrets. I was going to describe it as original, but then I remembered that show with Ginger and the Professor. Regardless, it’s not utterly crap, the setting is lovely, and the cast is fetching.
In the last episode I watched, I noticed that Dominic Monaghan (formerly Merry in the Lord of the Rings movies) had some words tattooed on his upper arm. They read “living is easy, with eyes closed”. That, of course, is a lyric from the Beatles’ Strawberry Fields Forever. In a world of celtic and Asian characters tattooed on backs everywhere, I thought that was pretty cool. It got me thinking what lyrics I’d get put on my arm:
- “A man in a crisis falls back on what he knows best. A murderer to murderer, a thief to theft.” By the Cowboy Junkies, and a bit long, really.
- “Memories are just dead men making trouble.” The Junkies, quoting a poet (EM Forster, maybe?). Sounds tough, but not quite me.
- “I started out on burgundy, but soon the harder stuff.” From Bob Dylan. Too bad I don’t drink.
- “We sit here stranded, though we’re all doing our best to deny it.” Again Dylan, again too long.
- “I’m the first mammal to make plans.” Pearl Jam. It’s got a certain pithiness.
- “Just take what you need and leave the rest.” From The Band. A nice sentiment, but a bit obvious.
- “Shakespeare, you’re a drunken savage.” I like the absurdity of it, and the fact that it’s by the nation’s favourite rock band, the Hip. That’s the closest I’ve gotten to something I might, in some parallel universe, tattoo on my arm.
What song lyric would you tattoo on your arm?