After an exhaustive search (really, we went to, like, five places–you may recall my criteria), we’ve located the ideal venue for the post-conference party for Northern Voice: Take 5 Cafe. Why is it ideal? Let me tell you:
- It’s conveniently located at Hastings and Granville, about 5 blocks north of the conference venue. There are plenty of restaurants nearby for dinner, and plenty of bars and nightclubs for those who want to party after the party.
- Dean Punzo, the owner, has offered us a very equitable arrangement, so it doesn’t cost a fortune just to rent the venue.
- It can comfortably accomodate 100 people, which seems to be a likely maximum figure for the party.
- It’s a cafe/bar, meaning they offer alcohol, but if you or any of your family are under 19 years old, they’re still welcome.
- There’s free Wifi. But, you know, leave your laptop at home.
Dean and his staff will have a "nice selection of beer, wine and martinis on offer", as well as a broad array of the non-alcoholic beverages. I took a few daytime photos of the venue. As you can see, Take 5 is the ‘third place’ for the Bryght team (plus Will Pate). For the party, we plan to dim the lights, bring in some candles and remove some of the tables.
In case anybody’s wondering, you’re welcome to bring significant others, friends and attractive strangers to the party. Basically, you’ve just got to have some connection to the conference or one of the organizers. If you’re not going to the conference, but want to come to the party, email us and we’ll officially make you connected.