Thanks to everybody who responded with suggestions for my incredibly dull dilemma regarding redirects last week (especially Richard, who has patiently discussed this issue with me at least 47 times). Geordie from Metalogix ended up helping me out by generating the required 2300+ redirect pages I required. He’s a star, and this was right up his alley as Metalogix makes content migration solutions.
I debated with myself as to whether I should redirect from the basenames to the numbers or vice versa. Ultimately, I chose the former, because it’s the old, numbered pages which Google likes and knows about. Plus, apparently Google hates redirects, so who knows what would happen if I went the other way. Unfortunately, this essentially means my old entries become static pages which I have to update manually, but it’s the lesser of two evils.
On a related, equally unexciting note, I’m leaving comments open indefinitely for all new entries. I used to close them after a couple of weeks, to combat spam, but I’m hoping my faith in Movable Type 3.2’s spam defence will be rewarded. I’ve also enabled TypeKey authentication, should anybody be so inclined.