So, I downloaded the install package and began following the Famous 5-Minute Install instructions. Unfortunately, I’m into my third hour. I consistently get that popular error message: “Error establishing a database connection”.
Here’s what I’ve checked and double-checked:
- Do my versions of MySQL and PHP meet WordPress’s minimum requrements? Yes.
- Have I entered the database and user names correctly in both places? Yes.
- Are database priveleges set correctly for my WordPress user account? Yep.
- Should I be using 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost for DB_HOST, as I do in MovableType? Maybe, but I’ve tried both and no joy.
- Have I Googled for the past hour, looking for alternative explanations? Uh-huh.
I turn, once again, to you, my dear readers. Any WordPress gurus out there? What am I missing? I’ve also posted my query to the WordPress support forum, to see if that helps.
UPDATE: We’re not entirely sure how, but Gillian (who I now definitely owe lunch) solved my issues. Well, not all my issues, but certainly my WordPress issue.