I have requirements for about three hours worth of podcasts each week, because that’s the total amount of time I’m at the gym. Unfortunately, my current carefully-selected list of podcasts always falls a little short of three hours. Here’s what I listen to religiously:
- CBC Radio Dispatches – “Dispatches features documentaries and reports by CBC Radio’s correspondents and other journalists on assignment outside of Canada.”
- BBC From Our Own Correspondent – Probably my favourite. It’s the journalist’s story behind the story, always superbly written and fascinating.
- New York Times Movie Reviews – Great, but way too short.
- New York Times The Ethicist – See above.
- Savage Love Podcast – Surprisingly funny, and not remotely safe for work.
- Slate’s Explainer and Daily Podcasts – Both June Thomas and Andy Bowers have fantastic reading voices. I skip the sessions on American politics, but the rest of the stuff is golden.
Looking down the list, I’m clearly predisposed to professionally-produced, scripted monologues.
What’s your favourite podcast? Here I am now, entertain me.