I know nothing about Morocco. Well, not nothing, but hardly anything. Let’s see what I know:
- Possible destinations include Marrakesh, Fez and Casablanca. There are probably plenty of others.
- They apparently have nice rugs.
- Crosby, Stills and Nash had a hit with “Marrakesh Express” in 1969.
- “Play it again, Sam”, “of all the gin joints…”, “beginning of a beautiful friendship” and so forth.
- I’ve looked at this awesome-looking place on LuxuryLink before.
- I just read the frustrating “You Shall Know Our Velocity” (Eggers is a great stylist, but must all of his books feature such aimless losers?), and part of it took place in Morocco.
- No Westerner can smoke from a hookah and not look utterly ridiculous.
- I thought part of Star Wars was shot there, but that was actually in nearby Tunisia.
That’s about it. Has anybody been there? Any recommendations of places to see or places to avoid? I obviously plan to read a guidebook or two and surf around ye olde web, but I thought I’d start here.