The following are a few things I didn’t realize I missed about my hometown:
- The sound of seagulls.
- Big birds in general. The largest bird I’ve seen on Malta are largish pigeons.
- The rain. I haven’t seen rain in more than three months. I still haven’t, actually, but there’s a chance of showers this weekend.
- Tall buildings.
- The city-ness. Lots of cars, people and businesses in one place. It’s a bit odd, being the country bumpkin coming into town from a village of two stores and three restaurants.
- Diversity of people. Most days, it feels like our village is populated exclusively by old women in house dresses. It’s nice to see people of all different shapes, sizes, ethnicities and ages.
- Mountains and islands, and the palette they make as these overlap in the distance. These two photos show this in action.